Saturday, September 24, 2011

Last Traces of Summer:

clip_image002
One of the most amazing things about living in Utah is that sunflowers grow wild practically anywhere. What’s particularly amazing about these flowers is that they were growing out of a huge pile of gravel on the side of the road.
Colin braved the rocky summit to bring me back a few of what must be the most tenacious flower in existence. I was amazed at how much joy it gave me to bring the little guys home. I wanted to sketch them, paint them, press them--anything to preserve the loveliness effect. It’s embarrassing to admit how much enthusiasm I have for things like this. What kind of people are over the moon about flowers? Fairy princesses? Wood nymphs? Certainly not respectable grown women like me.
Who am I kidding? I was never respectable and I never will be. Hello, my name is Katie, and I get excited to the point of silliness. I’m glad I could get that off my chest.
When we got home I quickly snipped the stems under water and crushed a baby aspirin into the water to keep them good.
They withered in three days.
Seriously? They can grow from seed to blossom out of a pile of straight up gravel, but they can’t make it through three days in my kitchen? I guess I should have left them where they were.





No comments:

Post a Comment