Monday, December 12, 2011

The End of Indecision 2011

I wrote earlier about Colin’s Job hunt. After months of flying coast to cost, applying for over 13000 jobs (ask Colin how he did that one day), checking out ever travel book in the library, living  out of boxes, we have finally made a decision (drum roll please) and we are going…

NOWHERE!!!
It seems a little strange and even disappointing to me at times that we are ending up staying right here in Utah for the time being. Neither of us are from here or have any family that lives here, so the fact that this is where Colin got his first post grad job is a little interesting. None the less, this job was the right pick and we are happy to have it.
It’s not that I don’t like Utah, in fact I have loved it here. I do have to say that it’s a bit strange that so many people who were born and bread here, are the most negative when it comes to living here. I’ve had several native Utahan's tell me it’s a nice place to live but not to stick around when I’m raising kids. Really? Was the experience that bad for them? What’s with the self-hate people?
Still, I can see their concern. My jaw about dropped to the ground when my grandma told me she thought I was picking up a Utah accent. I had to comb my words for what I might have said. Have I started dropping the ‘t’s? did I say Buh-en instead of button or mou-en instead of mountain? Did I mention melk (milk) or my pellow (pillow)? Did I say “oh my heck? Of course, this grandma has a thick Philadelphia accent, and probably shouldn’t be given any weight as a judge of proper speech.
Here are my other Utah worries:
Utah Hair:
This is the look on celebrities, and sorry gals, it still aint cute. I guess I know why it’s called the “beehive” state.
Sap:

Look, I’m a pretty happy person on the whole. I know it’s a lot cooler to be whiney and critical all the time, but well, life is pretty good and I’m pretty happy. In fact, I would say a naturally tend towards being sappy and sentimental. But what if Utah pushes me over the edge? What if I start loving lifetime movies, those pictures of smiling Jesus, and that little kid who “loves you this much”? What if I start referring to Thomas Kinkaid as a “painter of light”? This could be a real problem.


Becoming a human baked potato:

My people are a blend of all the pastiest peoples of earth (English, Irish, Scottish—all people who were made for the damp). The severe lack of trees in Utah might just tan my hide like an old leather saddle bag.



This blog is basically the summation of my fears:
http://seriouslysoblessed.blogspot.com/

Good. I’m glad I got that off my chest. Like I said, I’ve loved living in Utah so far and I’m sure I will find many more things to love as time goes by.

Now all Colin and I need to do is find a new apartment and plan two cross country Christmas trips to family before the year is out! Go team!

No comments:

Post a Comment