Friday, October 31, 2014

Rocktoberfest and other Fall Fun


October has been filled with lots of fun and play for our family. This is an example of one of Phoebe's latest games. She starts by pulling every dish cloth and bib out of the kitchen drawers and then pulls out every baby doll and stuffed animal in the toy box.




All must be blanketed...

...then promptly squished.


Most Fridays this month, we've been lucky enough to swap babysitting and painting time with another artist friend of mine, in something we like to call "Art Fridays" (I know, so inventive!).  It helps me get some great kid-free work time, and a fun play-date for Phoebe. This is her "he'ping" below.

This is Phoebs with one of our Art Friday buddies. We built a fort one afternoon and they were the first ones in there testing the accommodations. I love how sweet this little buddy is with her. He calls her "bee bee" does these sumo-squat-hula-hoop hugs so gently that it just melts my heart. Man! kids are CUTE at this age!

This is the same buddy with his big bro. They are all very calmly mulching each other's heads. All the cool kids are doing it.

This is a shot from my final garden harvest. Gardener tip: had to pick all those green tomatoes before the frost ruined them, so I put them in these boxes and closed them up with a few bananas (Thank you, Google) and they ripened up just like they came off the vine! I made every tomato dish I could think of and dried the rest in a food dehydrator (thank you, Colin's folks) for less sunny sun dried tomatoes.

Here's the wee babe enjoying the fruits of my labor.


Since we had some unseasonably lovely weather, I decided to give the hiking backpack one more use before retiring it for the season (not that we couldn't go baby snowshoeing, but really, why?). I called up my friend Cari, who is an outdoor enthusiast and baby-buddy-mama, and solicited the help of my do-the-adventure sister, and headed out to catch fall before she got away from us. This trail is to Battle Creek Falls in American Fork Canyon. 
 
Oh yeah, Carrie brought their dog Zeek, who was instant friends with Phoebe (except when she was trying to ride him). He is just the perfect temperament for kids--patient, but still energetic enough to play fetch as many times as you want to throw the ball.  I love having a dog on the trails. I'll have to see if I can borrow him sometime to bring Colin around to the idea.



As you can probably tell, we've spent a lot of time outdoors drinking up all the goodness of one of my favorite seasons. But what fall trips could be complete without a trip to the pumpkin patch?
Here's my little pumpkin mingling with her kinsfolk. Gingers of a feather...

We must remember to tell her about humpty dumpty. Or better yet, the epic fable of Punkin' Chunkin'.





There are few moments of joy in this world than a toddlers first experience running through crunchy fall leaves.






She just couldn't get enough of it!


Oh yeah, this happens sometimes too.



This is another day out feeding the MASSIVE amount of ducks (and a few disgruntled geese, who's mothers must not have loved them enough) at the Day Break pond.

Colin feeding the ducks and Phoebs feeding her face.


Of course, all of our days aren't fun and games. Sometimes they look like this: (especially around dinner time, and VERY especially if Dada isn't home) 


Milk, bear, and the soothing sounds of baby songs. 

Oh, also this month I turned 28. I'll have to add this to my long list of awesome birthday cakes. I won't say that Colin's ability to cook is the reason I married him, but hey, it sure doesn't hurt. This is strawberry yogurt cake. Yuuuuuuummm!

The next week after my birthday is Halloween. we got a little lazy in the costume department this year so baby girl is some kind of hybrid pumpkin cat thing. (The tutu came with a Turkey costume my mom sennt for Thanksgiving...'cause that's how we roll...stay tuned for that one.) We took her out to our ward Halloween chili cook off and the Pumpkin Festival at Butterfield park. There were no pumpkins. We felt deceived.


For some reason, we thought that the pumpkin festival would be a great time to take a family picture. This is kinda what that process looks like these days.





No comments:

Post a Comment