Monday, October 8, 2012

Conference Time!

This year for General Conference, Colin and I decided to do something a little different while listening to the Saturday sessions. Instead of sitting on the couch in our pajamas, we decided to listen to it while we drove the scenic Nebo Loop, and do a little hike and picnic in between. It’s something that had been on our Utah bucket list for a while. I’ve heard of some families camping before General Conference (outside or in their living room) and telling their kids the story of King Benjamin from the Book of Mormon where the people pitched their tents around the temple to hear the prophet. I’ve heard of other people hiking up the mountains (lots of scripture references there too) and listening by radio. I love the idea incorporating nature into spiritual activities. There’s hardly any place better to feel the peace and stillness that so easily connects us to God.
WP_000257
Colin in front of the changing colors
WP_000248
WP_000249
I couldn’t believe how much wildlife we saw. Say hello to Bambi!
WP_000252
Pretty sure these aren’t “wild” cows. But still, I don’t think I’ve ever seen them free to roam the trees like this before.
WP_000259
I cant quite remember what this part was called but it was something like “Little Bryce Canyon” or “Devil’s Kitchen.” Both very appropriate.
WP_000241
The loop had lost of these one-off picnic tables just tucked into the leaves. We turned the car off and let the radio play through the window. It was such a perfect quiet place to stop, though it was a little cold. We ended up wearing that blanket by the end.
WP_000247
This shot is because every blog and facebook post should really be about what you ate right? Beside this picture we had an oh so lovely thermos of fresh milled apple cider from Farnsworth Farms (who also has some u-pick things that they do. We got small pumpkins there that turned into a disastrously ugly fall wreath. I’d include a picture, but the lopsided eyesore decided to go for broke and grow mold, so it went straight to the dumpster). When fall comes around we hunt for fresh cider and then portion it out gold. We can easily spend ten minutes just smelling the stuff before we ever take a sip. I can also highly recommend cider from Allred Orchards in Provo.

All in all, it was a peaceful relaxing day. It was one of those days where every memory conjures up one of the senses: crisp fall air,  light coming through the multicolored trees like a stained glass window, crunching and scuffling as you walk, wrapping up an a big wool blanket, the smell of cider, and of course, listening to general conference. Here are some of my favorite sound bites:

“Acting on even a twig of faith allows god to grow it” Henry B Eyring
“Family time is sacred and should be protected and respected” Boyd K. Packer
“We are not diminished when someone else is added upon” Jeffrey R. Holland
“To those that judge others, I offer simple prophetic advice, ‘Stop it!’” Dieter F. Uchtdorf

You can also watch some of the highlights here.

No comments:

Post a Comment