Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A Frolic in Fredericksburg Or a Tale of My Sister’s Wedding


Well, I’m gonna start off by saying that I wish I had better pictures of this. Unfortunately, due to Colin’s lack of time off he wasn't able to come with me this time and so I spent a lot more time with a squiggly baby and less time snappin’ selfies.  Colin is planning on coming to VA for later this year and also going on the Ricks family annual Epic Fishing Trip for Manly Men this summer. It’ll be his first time to go in about six years. More on that, you know, after it happens.



Anyway, to start at the very beginning (a very good place to start). I flew. On a plane. With a nine month old. By myself. Two layovers. Really, it wasn’t that bad. I’ve done it once when I got sick on the way back from Kristi’s wedding (see last September’s posts).  There were some less enjoyable parts. Here’s what I’ve learned:

1. The Detroit airport totally looks like a space ship! (Seriously, in person, it is way greener than this. Alien pee green)

WP_001257

2. My baby is way more sensitive to take off and landing than she used to be and much more stubborn about sleeping. Oh, and nursing her for take off and landing is a bit more of a feat of strength than it used to be since she wants to peek-a-boo all the time with the nursing cover.  Not cool baby, not cool. Wearing a big scarf that made a full circle “tent” helped.

3. Squeezy food is a must. I found one with an attachable spoon like this that was a total life saver. I also brought Happy Puffs and a bunch of rice crackers. On this note, I’d like to add that if you’re bringing baby food, try to go for a fairly colorless variety if your kid is still a spitter (applesauce, pears, bananas, etc). There is nothing worse than your kid vomiting beet purée all over the nicely dressed business man to your left. This didn’t happen to me, but it totally could have.

4. Tabby blankets are the best. I clipped all Phoebe’s toys to this blanket (I made this one with my friend Sierra years ago). During a layover I set her down in corner,  between two chairs, did a baby wipe wash down, and let her go to town. I got to sit next to her and eat my lunch and she got some much needed wiggle time. When I had to go I just picked the whole thing up in one motion. Awesome! .

WP_001258

Phoebs also made a few new friends while we were waiting. This little girl didn’t speak any English (but then again neither does Phoebe), so I never got her name.

WP_001259

5. Speaking of friends, I learned that having a smiley baby strapped to your chest makes people, not only friendlier, but downright goofy. Every where I went people just went googlie-eyed at me. I can’t say I mind the special treatment, but here’s a note to all you baby lovers out there, there’s actually two people in this arrangement. Hi, I’m up here.

6. This was the trip when I discovered mobile baby Einstein downloaded on to my Kindle. It’s scary how well this works. Zombie scary. Once upon a time I thought I would be one of those “no screen time under 3” Moms. My how my standards have slipped! I still limit this to times when I am going crazy and I really need to not have a screamtastic kiddo, but what can I say? Full disclosure: it works, I use it, and I don’t think that makes me a bad mom.

7. My kid really wants to play with strangers. Their hair, teeth, eyelashes,and so on. And she’s kinda a klepto. She almost made off with earrings, a watch, and a solar powered dancing flower.

8. Don’t let them stick you right behind first class. If you cant keep your diaper bag on you during take off and landing, the whole plane suffers.

9. If the sock doesn’t fit,don’t wear it. I had these returned to me a few times after they had been flung. Next time I’m going with feet-y pants.

10. Take a larger plane! I’m one of the few people who usually enjoys air travel. I always meet someone interesting (in this case, a couple of cowboys, a mom of a college grad, a dad of five returning from Paris with his wife, and one guy who does extreme hunting trips in Australia) and it’s nice when there’s time to just walk around and waste time. I’m rarely air sick or scared on a flight, however, this time I was both. The turbulence on the way in and out of Detroit was like nothing I’ve ever experienced. IT FELT LIKE I WAS FALLING OUT OF THE SKY! I was sweating and dizzy, and probably stressing out Phoebe from my intense grip on her tiny little frame. I just kept telling myself that more people die in car accidents than plane accidents, which was oddly comforting. I think it might have been a bit less intense in a bigger plane.
Other than that the trip down was pretty uneventful. It’s nice to be out of the pre-solid food “poosplosion” stage. So I  just changed her between flights.


I got to VA on Thursday night, which was just in time to help get ready a little Friday and do the wedding Saturday.  Kelly and Ty got married in the Washington DC Temple.The sealing was simple and beautiful, full of the spirit you expect to be  in the temple. They had their reception in the barn of a family friend. My dad made her a special arbor from tree branches (which my sister in law covered in vines and my grandma and I covered in flowers) and a bunch of candle holders and a cake stand from logs. When it was all lit up with candles, the area was just beautiful. I feel so lucky that I got to be there to see my baby sister get married (and a little old, I did change her diapers).

Like I said, I wasn't able to get very good pictures, which is why I was so grateful that Kelly hired  Aly Willis to be her photographer.  Aly is a wonderful friend of the family, but talented photographer as well. She moved heaven and earth to fly red-eye from her grandfathers funeral in Seattle the night before. With her permission, I'll share some of her wonderful work below:

















This is just my immediate family. I think the last family picture we took was at my own wedding.

Doesn't get cuter than little boys in suspenders!

The gang's all here


1170723_10201181283827275_1187957591_n
This is one I took. It was set out on the table at the wedding. Kelly and Julianna when they were kids.They solemly swear they are up to no good.









This is kinda how the evening went. Weddings are long for babies.





Oh, I also thought I would add this just for my own delight. A week or so after their honeymoon, Kelly texted me this picture. Civil war reenacting. Such a Virginian way to start a new marriage.

1175151_10152375944112487_6734314785527864200_n

After the wedding, I got to just hang around at home. What does that mean for me? Free babysitters and free hands for DIY projects. I noticed that my mom had a few cans of chalk paint she hadn’t used. She said she had a few project she wanted to use them on, but was never able to them. “How have you had this paint all this time and not played with it?” I asked. It’s like leaving your Christmas presents in the wrapping paper!
Luckily, I have super permissive parents who let me play interior decorator on a whim, so here are a few of the projects I worked on while I was there:

WP_001291

Before (Too dark for their inspired-by-a-robin’s-nest color scheme)

DSCF5205

After (matches the trim a little better.They are still looking for something to put on the sides)

WP_001282

Before (Dark wood with a dusty 1960’s cushion)

DSCF5210
Bad lighting, but here's the after ( in Duck Egg Blue. It still needs to have the cushion finished)

I also finished  a round table Julianna had started in antique white, but failed to gnab a picture. It’s usually parked under this chandelier.
Mom and I also got to the paint store and tried to pick out a few colors that go with the pewter color that is painted through the main part of the house.

WP_001292

This isn’t the best representation of these colors, but the thought is to pair them with linen and burlap and a bunch of green plants.

While we were there, Phoebe got a chance to meet her long lost cousins. My brother Jake is just between their ages and has been going on and on about his love of Phoebe. My nephews thought they couldn’t care less about babies until they met one. This is Alex building her a creeper.

WP_001273

One of the days I was there, Julianna and I decided to go on an adventure in downtown Fredericksburg. Here’s some of what we did:

DSCF5197

DSCF5179

How creepy can dolls get?

DSCF5191

DSCF5189

DSCF5188

DSCF5178

DSCF5184

DSCF5176

DSCF5185

DSCF5198

DSCF5181

I thought this was a puzzling illustration to find in an antique store. Too posh for the prince of darkness?

DSCF5195

This is at the Fredericksburg museum. Two words: Ouch! and Why?

DSCF5187

No comments:

Post a Comment