Colin and I decided that Memorial day would be a great opportunity to test out our new hiking backpack (spoiler alert: it was a dud and was promptly returned). This hike is Doughnut Falls which is about 12 miles up Big Cottonwood Canyon. The falls are named thusly because of the doughnut shaped hole that the falls "fall" through. The hike was cool and shady, which was refreshing as the temperatures are starting to climb in the valley. I was surprised to find that we were hiking half the time on mud or snow patches. It was still lots of fun. Phoebe got so excited when we reached the falls that she started clapping her hands and giggling. I guess for her it’s like the worlds biggest bath tub. Where’s my rubber ducky when I need one.
Phoebes is back there with a teething biscuit.
This is cheeky the chipmunk. I stopped in the woods and sat on a fallen tree to nurse the baby (new adventures in mothering) and this little dude was all up in our business! He was sometimes right at the end of my shoe. Phoebe giggled at him and called him "cat."
Here are the falls. Can you see the doughnut hole? There is apparently a very impressive grotto if you hike around the left side, but it looked a bit too muddy/steep/slippery to attempt with a wee babe in tow.

No comments:
Post a Comment